View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 10:45 PM

Default New (actually "NOS") member cpu

Hi, I'm Carl, from PA, USA.

I wrote in the title that I'm a "NOS" member because I've been a member here for 16.5 years but haven't posted until now.

In all that time I've been reading posts and learning and enjoying. Thanks to all the members here that share so much expert knowledge about Pontiacs.

Here's a short list of the Pontiacs that I have owned:
1970 Firebird Formula 400
2004 GTO
2009 G5

I gave the G5 to my daughter.
I gave the GTO to my ex
I still have the Formula 400.

I bought the Formula when I was 18 years old, and had just started college studying engineering. Somehow, I managed to restore the car and finish college, both with reasonable success. That was over 35 years ago.

The major work I've done on the 70 Formula was the rust repair performed during my amateur restoration as a teenager ~ 22 year old. There was so much rust. I tried getting replacement panels from the Pontiac dealer, but didn't find much back then (GM still sold metal door skins at that time). I found some panels here and there, Year One, junkyards, etc. Rockers and valance panels were not readily available and difficult to find in the pre-web 1980s.

As long as I've had the Formula I haven't had the engine apart; I haven't needed to. I've had the covers off. Someone before me had the engine apart They replaced the block. All the visible parts like intake, heads, exhaust manifolds are correct casting and correct date coded parts. I guess the block was damaged out of warranty and the previous owner got a used donor block.

Lately I've been looking at the body, suspension, engine parts, brake parts, etc confirming which parts are still original parts, which have been changed, etc. The threads on dual snorkel air cleaners, jacks, hood hinges, and many many more are very interesting reading! I'll admit I have a serious parts fetish.

Anyway thanks for listening to my long story. I hope to contribute to the discussions.