View Single Post
Old 01-14-2023, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The post I made last year regarding my Crower billet crank ordeal....

In the June 2005 issue of High Performance Pontiac magazine Crower had an advertisement for Pontiac crankshafts, advertised as 4340 billet steel. Starting at $1995 plus shipping. My engine builder, a Crower dealer, order one for me. It was a 4.250 Pontiac 3-inch main billet crankshaft for my planned 505 build. Part # 95194C at $1800 and #95320WD for lightweight profiling at $167.86, total $1967.86 plus freight. It arrived that same month and the engine was built and went into service in March 2007.

About 2 years later I had a bearing issue and upon teardown we found the crank was cracked on the #2 main. It was sent to Mile High Crankshafts in Denver for repair. The engine was put back in service in Feb 2009.
But 9 years later I developed a low oil pressure issue. During inspection the crankshaft was found to be bent and when the machine shop went to straighten it, the crank cracked. It was toast, so I ordered a SCAT forged 4.250 crank from Paul Knippen as a replacement.

It was about this time frame I was told a rumor that Kellogg crankshafts made some early crankshafts for Crower that were forged and machined to pass off as billet cranks. When I called Crower to report the issue with my cracked crank I brought up that subject. I was assured that never happened. However when I provided all the necessary order information including their sales and work order numbers I also included it had an approved "Special Net Price Code "B" on the paperwork. With some surprise by the gentleman I was then informed the "B" indicated it was a reject. I asked about that ! He offered no explanation regarding this other than to assure me it had nothing to do with the machining of the crank. At the time I failed to ask if it was made from a USA billet or an import.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve C. For This Useful Post: