View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No way I won't have a laser cutter within a couple of years

To lock things in better axially people will use a washer/part that isn't round, same principle as printing a hex shaped cavity for a encapsulated nut. People also use heat inserts which you heat up with a tool (like a modified soldering gun) and press into the plastic ... been used for years on manufactured plastic parts. Far as bonding as well as a bushing shell is bonded to the rubber ... I am unaware of a 3D printing process that would do that .. but then my knowledge of the process is limited.

I know it's being used more and more, exotic cars often have 3D printed parts, speeds prototyping and makes production of a very limited number of items more economical. Makes design changes much easier .... literally a matter of hours.

There are now numerous "Printer Farms" .. facilities with dozens of high end printers, you just upload your designs and they print them in high quality engineering plastics, much like a production machine shop. Ferrari is big into 3D printing in both composites and Metal.

I will be opening the Church of 3D shortly