View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Strangely enough, yes the adhesion after a pause is good, bear in mind the heated printing bed keeps the part around 120 F (or more if you want), the newly extruded plastic seems to melt right into the previous layers.

I'd guess you'd never get the bond to the metal that you would find with rubber parts, but it does bond to some degree .. depending on the filament used, as some of the filaments bond very well even to glass. I will put the parts I want to insert onto the print bed to warm up to the same temp as the print before I insert them.

As a print pause gets farther from the heated bed (Z axis) it can cause problems, but you can also specify the amount of cooling used on each layer to help compensate (on the print head there is a small cooling fan to help solidify the plastic after it extrudes to firm up the layer)

TPU printed solid is harder than typical rubber, Shore 95A, the resilience is controlled by the amount of "infill" used. In a cube for instance you can print anywhere from 100% (solid) to 1 % infill. The infill is a pattern of internal walls that support the exterior of the cube, many different pattern types are available. Also you can control the top, bottom and wall thickness to create a stiffer or more durable exterior surface. For instance on the hood bumper I had it print multiple top layers for abrasion resistance, multiple bottom layers for mounting point strength, and less layers in the walls to increase it's compressibility.

Attached is a photo of my selection of test cubes printed with varying levels of infill so I can get a tactile reminder of how infill effects flexibility before I design a part.

Info on UV and chemical stability is fairly easy to find, when it comes to things like abrasion resistance and tested durability you'll typically only find ratings like good, fair, bad etc. Much like the guidelines you might find on raw materials on McMaster-Carr ... however I'm sure the information is available from the companies producing the raw stock used to make the filaments ... but a lot of the filaments are custom formulations created by whomever is doing the filament extruding to enhance various properties ... usually with the goal of easier printing. You can for just a few thousand buy your own filament extruder and use raw pellet stock to produce your own filament