View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 05:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem with building a mild 400 is lack of a good cast piston. Run as far and fast away from HT's as you can, and NEVER use the stock 8 valve relief variety as they sit WAY too low in the holes at TDC providing too much quench and squish area.

Stock rods are OK for mild builds and will probably last forever if you don't hang a HEAVY low-end forged piston on them. I wouldn't be afraid of them with a set of light weight modern forgings pressed in place. Years before we had good affordable forged rods we ran cast rods in 455 builds in full race applications spinning them to and past 6000rpm's w/o any issues. Good thing there is a decent amount of sheet metal between the engine and driver with those builds as I've never been very comforable spinning cast rods that hard in any of these engines.

Stock stamped steel rocker arms are fine for most of these builds and a better choice than many of the aftermarket roller varieties. They are strong, light and fine if you aren't running 450 pounds of spring pressure and .600" or more lift.

About the only roller rockers I'd even look at are Crane Gold Race, Harland Sharp or Crower Enduro. I've burned up, cracked or broken just about everything else that's being offered for these engines, plus they can be a PITA to get under stock valve covers without some work.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: