View Single Post
Old 08-30-2022, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
On an Fbody I don't care for the dual muffler setup. Very difficult if not impossible to get any decent sized muffler (that I prefer to run) tucked up high enough that it isn't an eye sore or a road hazard.
everything FJ posted is great advice, but from my experience its not difficult or impossible to get dual mufflers to tuck up good & have decent ground clearance, also never had any type of road hazard with them on my 2nd gen cars.

the dynomax ultraflo & pypes race pros fit pretty good under these cars unless they are extremely low, my 72 is about 2" lower in front/rear with a full 3" pypes system using dual race pros, the pipes & mufflers are not an issue driving on crappy roads or pulling in/out of driveways & parking lots with big curbs, can also clear an average speed bump, the issue i have is the big 2" O-port headers collectors hanging too low for big curbs or speed bumps, but is ok on 99% of street driving at any speed or hard corners.

on my 78 with 2.5" system, dual slo-master 40 mufflers & ~1.5" lower front/rear has no problems in any situation street driving, the 1 3/4" hedman headers tuck up nicely & have balll/socket collectors with a rotatable flange so they have tons of clearance.

race pros are about 1/4-1/2" less thick than ultra flos so that allows a little more clearance but they are the same basic straight through muffler design, just a little bit different packing material so a slightly different sound.

any good muffler shop can install the system so its tucked up tight to the floor, if the car is stock or close to stock height i dont think there will be any clearance or road hazard problems with duals. but transverse systems are nice too but can make things pretty tight if you have to work by the tank or drop it.

Last edited by 78w72; 08-30-2022 at 03:57 PM.