View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
i have a couple of these but as said they are hard to find & not a part i will give away too cheaply like i do many other small misc parts...

as for the electric chokes, i find they work much better than the hot air if adjusted right, the choke should not take 3-4 minutes to be at idle, especially on any late spring/summer temps, meaning not winter at 10f or something. i recall the manual states about 2 minutes is the time the choke should fall off the fast idle, in the summer mine will fall off fast idle after 1 minute or less... both hot air & electric.

2 of my pontiacs have electric chokes, 1 factory & one converted by cliff on my 467 stroker, both E chokes operate much smoother & more consistent than the stock hot air on my 78 T/A, both are newer chokes when rebuilt. i drive most my cars until it gets really cold or snows, have went to late nov or even early dec a few years, the hot air choke acts different in warm temps than cold, the E chokes stay very consistent. & a plus is you dont have to unhook the vac line from hot air tube to air cleaner every time you remove the shaker!

In your defense, the reason my e-choke probably wasn't working so well was that I didn't have the little orifice in the choke housing through which the vacuum is sucked in covered up. Reason being is that hole also serves a second purpose as the bypass air hole for the later 70's carbs, and with my camshaft, I *NEED* that bypass air so that I don't open up the throttle plates too far at idle. I did have the threaded part to the choke housing that normally fastens to the hot air choke tube sealed, but obviously since it's an e-choke, you can't use a gasket for the choke coil cover, and so the bypass air hole was probably sucking in ambient air from around the choke housing cover - that ambient air getting sucked in may have been cool enough to delay proper heating of the e-choke coil, delaying its function? A bit of a reach, but it is possible. Also, that air was unfiltered, which further prompted me to go back to using a hot air choke.

I know that one option would have been to just drill an bypass air hole into the throttle plate/base of the carb like how they used to be done from the factory, but I'm trying to avoid invasively modifying my carb. I've gotten away with not having to change the idle circuit, thankfully. Wanna keep it that way.