View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could be wrong, (I would expect that a more knowledgeable member might be able to chime in) but I believe that the engines were painted with these in place.

As a side note, I am not sure how engines with chrome valve covers were done - maybe assembled and painted with standard valve covers??

That second picture has the parts that remained through to the end of the 1970's - depending on the year the exact ones used varied - but as I mentioned earlier (what prompted the creation of this thread) was that I was at the time unaware of any of those being used in 1970;
What I came to realize was that all non-RA engines used one of those on the rear drivers side outer valve cover bolt, to direct wires down through the battery cable holder to the starter (image on post #4).

That unique two wire holder in your third attachment I have seen before;
It bolts up to one of the bolt bosses just under the valve cover;
It appears as though my last post was slightly in error;
The four wire one which bolts up to the drivers side rear/outer bolt boss was for sure a 1970 part;
I am unclear on what years used that two wire one - but I'd guess it was in the same spot on the merits of it's shape.
I did a quick search and it looks like 1967 wire holders were unique, and there was some overlap between 1968 & 1969, and maybe 1969 & 1970.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)