View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 11:19 AM

Here's some of the floor replacement I've managed to get done. I've still got a lot of cleanup to do to finalize installation but it's on the way to being rust free. A couple of observations so far. First off, if you want "perfect" do the complete firewall and floor pan This is just a quality driver so for now this will do. I wanted a more factory look so I went with the individual toe board and floor pan instead of the one piece. I did this for the factory overlap.

First off, my experience is that the Sherman partials are junk. Not even close. Due to price and availability I went with Golden Star. They seem to be stamped very well and match factory pretty darn nicely. Both the toe board and floor pans have been easy to work with. What I have noticed on these and other brands is the lack of sufficient overlap material. The floor pan and toe board both are a good half inch short in this area. It makes for a very small amount of overlap and it also does not line up with the factory panels at the end.

Perhaps another company comes closer. No idea. It's more work but to resolve the issue it's possible to cut a piece of same gauge steel and weld it to the end of both panels to provide a factory look. This is time intensive but possible if you're shooting for perfection. Other than this issue I definitely recommend them in all but a show car restoration. Like most everything, it's made overseas and a slightly thinner gauge material than back in 79. Prime it well. Paint it well. Keep it clean. We've got far superior coatings than they had 40+ years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220530_114335706.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	592142  

Two marriages and one long term relationship later and it's the T/A that's always still there.

When referencing gas, "regular" used to have an entirely different meaning.