View Single Post
Old 05-03-2022, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never even heard of a micro-processor based servo controlled choke set-up, sounds complicated.

I can tell you one thing for certain here. I ran w/o a choke for a few years when I was racing the car couple of times a week. Also no primary metering rods, RPM intake, loud mufflers with turn-downs, etc.

At one point I decided to put the car back on the street and absolutely HATED not having a choke in cool/cold weather. As I get older I have LESS tolerance for things that don't work as they should. When I was younger I never gave a second though to having to pump the accl 10-15 times only to have the engine ROAR to life, run 3-5 seconds then die out. After 3-5 cycles of that nonsense it would stay running but I'd have to sit in the seat and "feather" the throttle 2-3 minutes till it got enough heat in the intake to stay running on it's own.

Anyhow, put the electric choke back on the carb, metering rods as well, factory intake, stock Shaker parts (had "cobbled" up things to use the taller RPM intake), quiet mufflers and full length 2.5" mandrel bent tail pipes.

I figured the car would slow down quite a bit but it was a LOT nicer to drive on the street and INSTANT starts in any weather. When I finally wondered over to out local 1/8 mile track for a Friday night Test & Tune I was expecting to slow down 2-3 tenths and 1-2 MPH.

To my surprise the car left HARDER and quicker 60' times. This equated into running about the same ET as it did with the "race" set-up but did fall off about 1-2 MPH. I still to this day can't believer I dealt with all that "race" oriented stuff to not run any quicker at all in ET, and it's a LOT nicer to have all the factory parts in place when someone walks by the car in the pits and takes a gander under the hood then glances at the ET on the windshield........those looks are PRICELESS!.........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: