View Single Post
Old 04-13-2022, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at race cars that run on a closed course for more than 13 seconds, you won't see any electric fans on them. I have no idea of why people think electric fans are superior to an engine driven one. They will not ever move the amount of air that an engine driven one will, and the aren't linear with heat production generated by RPM change.

Running a Pontiac on a dirt track will challenge anything you think you know about keeping one cool. I had to do some unorthodox things to keep mine cool, but when I got the system optimized, you would never see 180, no matter how hot, and humid the ambient air was.

Engine driven fan, with a RV style composite fan blades, 2, 3 core radiators back to back. A/C pulleys. As much radiator area as possible, and a fan that will pull as much air as possible through the radiator and shroud system. The composite fan is very light (11 ounces) has a near 90 degree pitch on the blades, so you run direct drive, no clutch. Even at idle it pulls a huge amount of air.

Not having a cooling system that could remove heat as fast as it was generated, cost me a brand new fresh engine. Having to completely rebuild a new engine that ran only 1 race, is a hard way to learn to have a cooling system up to the job. Expensive lessons are the hardest to swallow, but you won't forget it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated