View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
You can't really look at last year as "normal" relative to sales of these cars. I know firsthand that the Mustang plant was the first one Ford shut down to divert chips to other vehicles. That's part of the reason dealers have had such high markups on Mustangs recently ... because they are having a hard time getting new ones to sell (see numbers at below link).
https://www.autoblog.com/article/car...ealer-markups/

I'm sure GM was doing the same with the Camaro, prioritizing Corvettes, etc.

And I'd guess Chrysler was able to source chips to keep Challengers in production.
I heard the other day Ford has a pretty bad chip shortage yet. I talked to trucker familiar with the trucking outfit hauling vehicles out of Ford Plant in KC about a week ago. From what I recall the truck drivers are given a chip they take with them, and that chip had to be switched to every vehicle to load and unload the truck for transport to the dealers. Then if the dealer needed to move the car or go for a test drive they had a chip they could do those things, but still had to transfer the chip between vehicles. It didn’t sound like they were allowed to sell the vehicle without the chip. Quite a mess. I don’t know if it was on a particular model, or just a problem at that plant.

No doubt, it has effected car sales.

Last edited by Jay S; 04-11-2022 at 11:17 PM.