View Single Post
Old 02-10-2022, 03:03 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Before Pennzoil was bought by Shell (which makes the same Rotella oil you've stockpiled, from gulf crude), Wolf's Head was owned by Pennzoil. I was in the Pennzoil refinery warehouse in Rouseville PA, (early 90s) and Wolf's Head was there by the thousands of cases. Since my father used to use Wolf's Head I asked about it, Pennzoil had acquired it years before. It was the same oil that was in the yellow bottles, same formulation. Pennzoil acquired Wolf's Head in 1963.

Looking around in the warehouse there were many private label brands as well as some national brands. The warehouse guy says it's all the same oil as comes in the yellow Pennzoil bottles, just a different label on the bottles. Just as NAPA used their own bottles, it was Ashland oil, otherwise known as Valvoline. That may have changed, but in the early 70s NAPA was all Valvoline oil, in their bottles.

Wolf's Head used to be an emerald green color, which usually indicates a high zinc concentrate oil (Brad Penn is green in color also). Any Wolf's Head oil made in the last 50 years is amber colored, not even close to the original formulation green colored Wolf's Head oil. I was 10 years old when Pennzoil bought out Wolf's Head, but I still remember my father changing oil, and seeing that green oil from the cans.

I really don't want to screw up the OPs thread talking about oils, but by the same token want to keep facts straight.
60s and early 70s is a heck of a time frame difference from the early 90s you speak about using. Pennzoil and Wolfshead oil was not Gulf oil in the 1960 & 70s. It was Pensylvania oil taken from the USA drillings. Throwing a name around means nothing.

I bought the 15W40 oil for the zinc amount, I could care less that the company that made it is Shell. The BP Oil Engineer (obviously not working for a US company), who I would trust anything he told me recommended the 15W40 oil from Farm Fleet as the farmers still wanted the SE oil in their tractors. It was over 1400 ppm of zinc. Great for Camshaft life.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.