View Single Post
Old 12-04-2021, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went through a similar decision making process with my '66 a few years ago. The car came to me with a worn out Olds "Type O" rear end, but mine had the more desirable 31-spline 3.91 posi setup. It whined terribly under deceleration. I set up an account on ClassicOldsmobile.com and got connected with someone who rebuilds the Type O rear ends for a living (username: Monzaz) to inquire about its value. He said as a core in its current state needing rebuild, it was worth $500. To fully rebuild it would add up and ultimately be less durable than other non-original options (Quick Performance 9" or Strange S60). Anyway, my crusty worn out Type O rear end was quickly snapped up for $500 by a ClassicOlds forum member, so I was happy to see it be saved from being discarded as scrap. Had a bomb-proof Quick Performance 9" built for ~$2500. It's awesome.

I share the opinion of not reusing your Type O rear end in your '66. Find and Oldsmobile guy who wants it and have something else built to your specifications.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild