View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
That' sounds cool. I'd love to hear more about it.
The heads are still on my old 455. They will end up on a 461 I am just getting back to finishing. Went from graveyard shift back to swing but with 60 hour work weeks. Have to force myself to find the time.
Block is a 73 400, filled to pump holes, full lifter brace, splayed caps, 4340 crank, Molnar rods, Ross pistons, BHJ balancer, 4500 Victor with work done, custom 1050, crank trigger, Steffs pan with big kickout and trap doors.
Pretty much all I can do to a stock block. Short block is done but pan is not on it.
The pistons are 1/16" ring but I went though the effort to buy top ported rings, have them back cut and hand fit the ring spacers(giant PIA) Running a Moroso 3 vane.
Cam is a custom pump gas Comp, .750, mid .260s-.270s @ .050. Heads will be High Ports to start. I want to see how much power I can make on pump gas with stock block. They flow 359 @ .800 but still flow about 345-350 where the valve will be lifted. 11.5 CR so I am pushing it.
The engine is a little larger then Jakes engine that made over 700 HP so I expect to make a little more than he did, I hope.
But when I race I race a lot and a stock block might not live that long at that power. The HOs will get re done and have been looking for a old school iron head guy to do the work. My guy passed and I have always been impressed by Paul C. so he will get them and do what he does. If he can get 300cfm out of them with my short block I believe I can make some very good power out of a 9-1 Pontiac. Might turn some heads. Thinking smaller stem dia valves like the 5.7 Mopar hemi valves he used on his 280cfm 670s. But a custom valve as I do not want to run the short Mopar valve.
The Warrior might not cut it so it could be another Victor. Making a Warrior keep up is costly but cool.
The engine will have a longer life with the iron heads I believe. Trying to set myself up for when I retire so I can keep racing. Will have this engine and the 540 IA2 and the old 455 and some others.
We all know this is not a cheap hobby so I am doing it now. Have taken almost 2 years off so I am chomping at the bit to get back to the track.