View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

I'm not sure I fully understand. I don't know what this pertronix device is but,

IF the terminal you made contact with has 12 VDC coming from battery, or the ignition run circuit, I would be more concerned with the wire or insulation on that wire or, something closer to the DC source that feeds said terminal. The current would have flowed from the DC source on the said terminal to ground where you made contact. Meaning you could have pulled more current through the wire than it was rated for.

Now, IF the 12VDC on the terminal you touched is sourced from within the Pertronix device and you shorted it to ground, then current flowed again from the source (the pertronix device) to ground in which case high current would have flowed through the device. This could be a problem for the pertronix.

Since you say you saw other gauges now effected and it's intermittent...I think I would be looking for a cooked wire somewhere that is now either barely hanging on to it's connection point or the insulation could be burned off and occasionally making contact with something grounded.

Other's may have additional suggestions but I would be looking at the wiring...after a thorough inspection, maybe start the car up and wiggling/jiggling things. If you have a schematic follow that wire in the diagram and look it over. Be prepared to shut it down quickly if your issue stops being intermittent and more continuous. If that wire is not fused and finds ground continuously, it will cook until something opens the circuit. Is this a factory wiring setup?

Northwind with XFlow TBI
4L80E
3.50:1 Rear
The Following User Says Thank You to punkin For This Useful Post: