View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I'd like to see some examples of that with stock type iron heads. I don't see that happening without a bunch of other things getting on the wild side. Especially at 5500 rpm in a 455. That must be a really happy dyno. I'd like to see an engine like that go in a typical 36-3800 lbs. car and make some track passes to back that up.

First of all the iron heads would have to flow nearly 300 cfm. You would need a pretty rambunctious camshaft to take advantage, and it would need a fair amount of compression too.

All those things would add up to a not so friendly street engine that may or may not run on pump gas, that again, depending on other variables. That starts to take the "street car" idea out of the equation.

I've seen a lot of these 455's on the dyno that make 500 to 550 HP on pump gas and be very street friendly with very well ported iron heads, but usually the higher side of that needs a pretty good aluminum head with some compression and a healthy roller camshaft to get near or top 600, and they generally won't do that at 5500.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE