View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 08:37 AM
Senior Chief

Ok. So here it is as i see it anyways. I am not seeking an absolute max effort build, but currently my other pontiacs represent themselves nicely. My 06 gto is an all motor 6 speed, ls2 makes 485hp to tire. My 1970 firebird is a numbers matching car that i had the original wt shortblock rebuilt to a 406, full arp hardware, using the cast crank, h beam rods, trw forged pistons, ect. Balanced rotating assembly. Had the #12 heads done by sd performance. It runs a crower flat tappet cam. Which wiped a cam lobe on break in. 😝 After ironing it all out, its a 430hp engine.
So the point i am making is, i am used to higher hp cars. This 72 is heavier than my 70 formula and my 06 gto. Though i do know it cannot be held in the same category as either car, i do wish for it to uphold the Pontiac name with attitude and style the company was eventually noted upon. I wish for the car to be something different, and not have an ls engine swapped in. Even though those are cool, but i like "as built" with modernizing.
So with that in mind, some of you may laugh at me, but i would like in excess of 5-550 hp at the flywheel. I would like the engine to spin past 6500 rpm without breaking or distorting the crank, a rod or two, or losing a bearing. I only figured a roller cam since its less rotational drag, and i don't have to wonder if another cam lobe will be wiped out and my new engine gets a belly full of glitter upon break in.

1973 Grand Am 400 4 speed