View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Quality aluminum connecting rods, like BME give you a tremendous safety margin as far at tuning a new combination. Along with the great durability and light weight, the cushion effect of the soft aluminum rods on the bearings, crankshaft and block allows for a much wider tuning window while making big power and working out the boost, fuel and timing maps. Unless you have a plug and play, tried and true tune-up at the HP level you want to run, that would be my recommendation.

I’m just quoting because it’s relevant to above post not to point anything negative out about the post as aluminum rods do have their place,
I ran aluminum rods and lost a dowl which hurt one of my RAV cranks back when that was pretty much the only option for forged cranks, never ran them again. But I also had a lot of passes on them probably close to 240 or so and a bunch of street time maybe 5000 miles or so .

I realize people like to have cushion for tuning but if your always starting on the FAT and LAZY side and seeking up on the tune, this shouldn’t be as much of a concern (course we all know **** happens) But the problem is too many people take a quick stab at the correct tune instead of starting where they know it’s super safe and working back into it .

Plus I always leave my stuff on the fat and lazy side of the tune indefinitely in case something fails./ changes

Of course I’m not running a class where. Hundredths decide the winner .

I’d say most of the rod issues come from detonation beating the bearings out of it.

Back at that time it was a mild 550 Hp N/A affair so that’s why I had so much time on the rods. (Course that was actually a lot of power at the time ) ��

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!