View Single Post
Old 10-09-2021, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was 19 or so I needed a car to get me dependably to my mechanics job.. I loved my ‘66 GTO, but needed a winter beater type for everyday driving. I found a ‘73 GP in the local paper for, as I remember, $300.
When I went to look at it the guy said his brother bought it brand new, then sold it to him just to pull his boat with occasionally. Boat was gone, so he had no use for the car now. I fired it up and the “350”ran great, but of coarse the car had the usual Midwest rust everywhere. This was around ‘84 or so.BTW. I drove it around the neighborhood and forked over the money.
The next day I figured I’d tune it up, so popped the hood to see exactly if I missed anything, seeing as how I was looking at it in a dark driveway the night before. I was happy to find out the 350 was actually a 400! Popping the air cleaner off I saw it had a Quadrajet too! I also crawled underneath to find duel exhaust! The drivers side tailpipe was missing. 3.73 rear gears too!
I miss that car to this day! I beat on it as mercilessly as I did at that age, but it never skipped a beat. I remember during cold snaps jumping all the other family members cars that wouldn’t start, including my dads new Toyota.
I sold it a few years later to buy my ‘76 455 SJ. Another one of my favorites.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.