View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 12:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default TKX reinstall alignment

I am putting in a hydraulic throw out bearing in my tkx 5 speed. Tranny was shifting fine, no issues, and since I am alone, it is hard for me to put this in by myself. When I went to remove the transmission, I installed four - 8” long bolts to act as guide rods. I just slide the transmission back along these bolts, enough so that the input shaft was out past the bellhousing. I was able to get the hydraulic throw out bearing snake up inside and installed. I then just slide the transmission back along these 8” long guide rods.

My issue now is I can’t seem to get the input shaft into the pilot bearing. The input shaft slide through the clutch disc no problem, but no matter what I do, a little up, down, sideways etc will not go. I tried everything. I did not line up the clutch disc with an alignment tool since I felt I just slide the transmission backwards along those guide rods.

My question is do you think that the clutch disc could have moved some? Could there been enough play in these guide rods? I check the rods for straightness before installing. I hate to pull this transmission out to check alignment. Any thoughts?