View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I guess you either misunderstood the point I was going after or I wasn't clear enough.

The low pressure area is in the middle of the hood. Basically right where a 67 GTO puts a scoop, or a 65 GTO, or a 69 GTO etc....

For a forward facing scoop in the middle of the hood to work effectively it's been documented many times the scoop really needs to be at least 2-3 or even 4 inches off the hood. That's a fact.

So as we all know the GTO scoops in the middle of the hood never reached up in the air very high, which is why I thought I didn't have to explain that. So my point was the 69 scoop shouldn't be any more effective than a 65, or a 66, or a 67. Yet from what I've seen with air inlet temps and at the track, the 69 scoops do in fact grab some fresh cooler air despite what's been written about the design being somewhat ineffective.
The testing that we did in college on the 64 Hood showed that the snorkel inlet worked at 5 inches about the 64 hood. Maybe 4" off the hood would have worked, the Hood Box/snorkel scoop was a 5" part. I only post what I have data for.

Cool air coming in 1969 GTO scoops should make the air cleaner inlet temps
cooler vs under hood temps. Can't disagree with that either.

And the topic is about cool air, not a working Ram Air system.
Thanks for the clarification on your post.

Even the little shorty NACA scoops used on the side of the vehicles will duct some cool air to the rear brakes, but those scoops are not optimized scoops.
The 73 NACA scoops were closer to the real think on the Herb Adams NASCAR 73 GTO but they were not allowed to run the car. Maybe the NACA scoops wood have worked well at NASCAR vehicle speeds. Obviously not at highway speeds.

Again Thanks for the Clarification.

Tom V.

At street speeds the air hits the grill/ front nose and angles upward basically missing the hood.
At highway speeds the on-coming air deflects the air from the grill/bumper lower and more is closer to the hood line and trying to pass thru the grill area. At Race speeds on the track, the air tries to go around the sides of the vehicle vs fight the straight air pointing at the hood line/grill area/windshield.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 07-07-2021 at 02:39 PM.