View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
You miss one of the most basic Aero concepts: Listen to Engineers like Seymore or myself.

Never compare vehicles with different body configurations.
A 1966/1967 GTO BODY OR HOOD DESIGN IS NO WHERE CLOSE TO THE SAME AS A 1969/1970 BODY SHELL.

That would be like comparing a 3rd gen Trans Am to a 1964 GTO.

The 3rd Gen Trans Am Bonneville car campaigned by Gale Banks and driven by Stringfellow was a very nice vehicle aero wise. Been there and raced with them at Bonneville. Banks is the PR Guy and Stringfellow just does his job.

Tom V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwk4WEuBttk

Ps Just for credentials sake:

Have you ever been in a Vehicle Wind Tunnel?

Personally I was paid to be in a Wind Tunnel as a JOB for my company. Not once or twice to see how one works
but for several weeks at a time at the Lockheed Wind Tunnel in Georgia, for 5 years of my work history.
Mostly did Truck Aero stuff but occasionally tested special vehicles like the Ford GT Sports Car. We added a better chin spoiler on that vehicle after Danny Thompson flipped a vehicle over on its back at Bonneville due to front end lift.

The point is don't assume, let data tell you what works, be it ram air parts or aero changes.

I guess you either misunderstood the point I was going after or I wasn't clear enough.

The low pressure area is in the middle of the hood. Basically right where a 67 GTO puts a scoop, or a 65 GTO, or a 69 GTO etc....

For a forward facing scoop in the middle of the hood to work effectively it's been documented many times the scoop really needs to be at least 2-3 or even 4 inches off the hood. That's a fact.

So as we all know the GTO scoops in the middle of the hood never reached up in the air very high, which is why I thought I didn't have to explain that. So my point was the 69 scoop shouldn't be any more effective than a 65, or a 66, or a 67. Yet from what I've seen with air inlet temps and at the track, the 69 scoops do in fact grab some fresh cooler air despite what's been written about the design being somewhat ineffective.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE