View Single Post
Old 07-07-2021, 12:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
If that were true then the 69 GTO should be even worse. However I've found them to work exceptionally well. In fact that's one of the cars with a Sniper Stealth where I can monitor the air intake temps. Even after heat soaking with the engine shut off, it'll bring the air intake temps down to ambient temps as soon as you're cruising down the road for about a mile, so those 2 small scoops in the center of the hood are actually working pretty well.
You miss one of the most basic Aero concepts: Listen to Engineers like Seymore or myself.

Never compare vehicles with different body configurations.
A 1966/1967 GTO BODY OR HOOD DESIGN IS NO WHERE CLOSE TO THE SAME AS A 1969/1970 BODY SHELL.

That would be like comparing a 3rd gen Trans Am to a 1964 GTO.

The 3rd Gen Trans Am Bonneville car campaigned by Gale Banks and driven by Stringfellow was a very nice vehicle aero wise. Been there and raced with them at Bonneville. Banks is the PR Guy and Stringfellow just does his job.

Tom V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwk4WEuBttk

Ps Just for credentials sake:

Have you ever been in a Vehicle Wind Tunnel?

Personally I was paid to be in a Wind Tunnel as a JOB for my company. Not once or twice to see how one works
but for several weeks at a time at the Lockheed Wind Tunnel in Georgia, for 5 years of my work history.
Mostly did Truck Aero stuff but occasionally tested special vehicles like the Ford GT Sports Car. We added a better chin spoiler on that vehicle after Danny Thompson flipped a vehicle over on its back at Bonneville due to front end lift.

The point is don't assume, let data tell you what works, be it ram air parts or aero changes.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 07-07-2021 at 01:12 PM.