View Single Post
Old 07-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, you certainly don't need a steering wheel puller to remove one of these wheels. Working as a line mechanic in many GM dealerships over my career I, and many of the mechanics I worked with would always try to remove them by cradling the wheel in your forearms and slamming yourself back into the seat. It works probably 90% of the time.

I misplaced the keys to my service truck one night while attending the local dirt track races. I needed to pull the wheel to remove the ignition lock so I could drive home. I had some tools with me, but of course no steering wheel puller. I just did it as previously described, took the lock plate off so I could get the turn signal switch out, and removes the retaining screw for the lock.

Of course after I had it all back together I looked in the pit gate ticket office, and there my keys were hanging on a nail on the wall. I either laid them down while paying for my pit pass, or dropped them in front of the window while fishing my money out.

It does require some upper body strength, and strong arms, but it can be done by someone that is determined to get the wheel off sans a puller. Only need a wrench/socket to remove the retaining nut.

When my wife and I used to sell T Shirts at various Pontiac events, one year at Norwalk my wife witnessed someone going into the adjoining vendors booth about 8:30 PM with the wife/GF standing watch for the perp. He stole some stickers worth a few dollars, the guy that ran the booth next to us said I would have given him the stickers if he was that hard up for money. People are just weird, and greedy.

BTW, OMT came over to our T shirt booth in Phoenix and introduced himself, we've also seen him in Chicago and I believe in Charleston WV at the POCI event. Very nice gentleman.....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-06-2021 at 07:06 PM.