View Single Post
Old 01-01-2021, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I'm NOT a fan of ordering those type of parts on-line. Sure you can save some money but when the wrong parts show up or they don't fit well, piss-poor quality, damaged in shipping, etc, the lift is tied up and I'm shipping chit back hoping the next time it will be the right parts, fit well, etc.

It's also a death sentence for our local auto parts stores and even worse now with the pandemic upon us. I have an account at NAPA, have for decades, and they don't have any problems getting me what I want, and when it's the wrong parts, or doesn't fit, etc, I just throw them on the counter and they get me the right parts no questions asked.

About the only time I order some auto parts on-line is when the price difference is absolutely ridiculous, or something that's not available locally.....FWIW.......
As a business owner who repairs cars for a living, I decided to create a policy for myself and customers. I am a NAPA master dealer, and get some extra discounts and perks as being such. I always go to the NAPA commercial site and look there first, and buy through them when possible. But I also look at Rock Auto too. They have a fantastic web site IMO, and my NAPA store also uses the Rock Auto site all the time at the store because the NAPA sites and their software isn't nearly as good as the Rock Auto site. (Sad). If a comparable part is within 25% of the Rock Auto price, I buy it from NAPA. That's because the shipping from Rock often eats the difference. Also, NAPA treats me like a king, always handles warranty professionally and generously and the people there are real parts experts with the three main employees having nearly 75 years of parts experience. That has value. But often Rock Auto blows NAPA and everyone else out of the water on some pricing. 1/2 price to 80% lower than NAPA on some items, especially closeouts. So I buy around 15% of my parts from Rock Auto. I will say other than a few lost items and a few things coming in freight damaged, Rock Auto is a solid business. Their return and core process is very smooth and I have never had an issue.

I do install some customer supplied parts, many shops do not. I find it to be a good source of return business as the vast majority of them are low quality Chinese white box parts. I warn them before installing and note on the invoice the parts are being installed without any warranty of any type. In the last three months, I have installed for the second time, 2 sets of front struts, 3 sets of front wheel bearing/hub assemblies, numerous lower control arms, idler arms, ball joints, tie rod ends and other parts. I get paid twice, they are easier to replace the second time because the bolts are not rusted, and I usually get to sell a quality part the second time. The customer also gets to learn a life lesson. You get what you pay for. In the case of Chinese white box parts, 6 months to a year, max.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: