View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
Ok, but my factory 7 blade and severe duty clutch does great(190) without AC on our 469, but with AC at idle for 5 minutes, temps take to 230F and climbing! I need cfm more air at idle. I already have the small pulley on the water pump, cold case radiator, shroud, and all the panels. I need more idle air CFM.

Essentially i need to overdrive the mechanical fan at idle and then reduce it at speed. I'm thinking like a variable clutch pulley, small diameter at idle, grows as rpm rises...
Some thoughts.

You added another heat exchanger either in front of or behind the radiator, adding a restriction. This likely inhibits the fan's ability to pull and move air.

You've also added another relatively hefty load device. The load change at idle could change the fueling and timing requirements which can have an effect on keeping the engine cool.

A solution is still probably a fan that can pull/push more air but you might be able to aid things by addressing any tuning difference that may have occurred now that the engine is seeing a higher idle load at times.

This is really where some of these injection systems start to shine because they have rpm bumps for ac and since fueling is based on load, it keeps things in check when the AC is and isn't running. Much harder to do with a carburetor.