View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The HP 950 is a very versatile carb once dialed in for a particular combo. Many years back it was pretty common to use them on a wide range of engine sizes, from 350 on up. As stated they don't actually flow 950 cfm.

We've run 2 of them on a pair of cars here for decades. The Pontiac started out on a mild 455, then a pretty nice 463 and eventually found it's way onto a 571 ci Pontiac that supported 724hp with that little carb. In a car that weighs over 3900 lbs. All those engines only required some jetting changes, a couple tweaks on the idle circuit, and squirter changes when experimenting with intake manifolds. The other 950 I've had on my 454 BBC for 20 years and it's been a great carb.

I see no reason it wouldn't work on your combo. I'm guessing one or more circuits might need some attention but without having the car here it's almost impossible to say what or how much. Your elevation will play a big roll as well.

A safe place to be on jetting in that carb and that size engine that shouldn't be too rich, from my experience, if you're at least close to sea level, could be something around 76 in the front with a power valve, and probably 80 in the rear with a power valve or closer to 86 without a power valve. Give or take a number or so, that'll be in the ball park. If I remember right they come square jetted originally at 79/79 with PV's in front and rear, and I think the high speed air bleeds are 32 front and back.

This is assuming everything else is in good working order, blades set properly, idle circuits correct. Intakes and carb spacers will change things.

As a reference on the 463 Pontiac, with E heads and a 254 @ .050 roller, rpm air gap and spacer, 2" headers, it liked 80/86 jetting at sea level with both PV's where it ran the best. When on the 571, same heads and headers, Victor intake and super sucker spacer, it made best power at 84/92 jetting with the rear PV blocked. When at 5,000 ft elevation the front jets were dropped to 80 and a few idle circuit tweaks.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 06-21-2020 at 10:28 PM.