View Single Post
Old 05-04-2020, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
EOS will give you ferrous and non ferrous metals in ppm to give you an idea of a trouble area. What I was getting at is that ZDDP or what ever protection someone is looking for, can then determine if the amount is satisfactory, if it even makes a difference at all. You could raise or lower that amount with different oils and monitor with EOS and see if those ferrous or non ferrous metal counts change. That's what I was hinting at and why I like to test.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/serv...rt-explanation

I don't buy into the theory of the amount of miles not making a difference on flat tappet stuff. Certainly may be fine on a 4.0 jeep that is lucky to have 70 lbs. of seat pressure and I've been there and done that with our own Jeeps. But that's not something I'll do on a daily driven classic that runs well over 100lbs. seat pressure, especially as expensive as it is to build these engines today. You're right about too many variables to claim one way or the other, and we never truly get all the facts when something does happen. Sure would be nice to at least have EOS samples to start with though. Can't rule anything out until facts are presented and in most cases, they all aren't put on the table.

Yep we drive them, to the store, whatever. Wife drives the Z to work daily. Was at Walmart last week. Just yesterday I took it to Ace hardware and bought a shovel and 3 bags of mulch. Then went back out to best buy later to pick up some computer hardware. We find them very practical for day to day errands. Just as much as everyone did when they were new.

When we lived in Ohio I still drove classics daily. In the winter time I simply resorted to driving a V8 Monza or Vega until it rusted away, then went out West and bought another one, lol. Saves the nice stuff that way for the summer driving.
yes oil analysis will show metals, but how do they/you know what part of the engine is causing that? worn cylinder walls or rings etc will show the same as cam/lifter metals, bearing material is identifiable but you cant tell what part is wearing for iron content, need to inspect the cam or other parts to determine how they are wearing. so my point is sample testing is great no doubt, but cant tell you how much zddp you need for any given cam.

& keep in mind that by daily driver i mean stock or very mild cams, even stock pontiac or other makes are still very light springs & small lift numbers that simply do not need 1000+ ppm of zddp let alone 1200-1300 like the specialty oils have. plus the fact that modern oils have advanced zddp & other additives... stock & mild cams dont need the high numbers of older oils.

thats great that you daily drive them, but that is not the norm for most classic car owners, how many time do you hear about stolen classics? these older cars are just too easy to break in to & steal, not to mention get door dings from idiots that park too close or dont care about other peoples property, just not worth the risk for me. i have & do take them some places, just not like i do a true daily driver & i think that is the norm, very rare do you see a 40-50 year old nice car at the average store or other similar locations, they are saved for car shows or cruises etc. not to mention the gas mileage of most classic v8's compared to modern FI smaller engines.

& driving a run of the mill monza in the winter is far from a $20k+ classic car, my point was its hard to put the miles on a car that isnt driven year round. but thats cool that you did that in the winter, it is very rare to find those types of cars today so us non desert guys use beaters for winter or drive our dailys.