View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

There is NO Pontiac Engine, they stopped making them years ago.
The LS engine was the last breath of the Pontiac Division.

You have some people copying Pontiac Engineered designs for parts.
You have some making parts that will just bolt onto the engine.
Saying that an engine is a Pontiac engine just because it has approximately a 4.625" BORE SPACING is mighty weak as far as calling a part a Pontiac part.
You have a few left over Junk Yard and garage hoarded parts still out there.
I have an aftermarket block in my 65 GTO, aluminum heads, quick fuel carb. Repop gauges and sheet metal, Dana 60, and a muncie with an aftermarket case.

Sometimes I wish I'd done it with factory parts. I'd love to have a 421 tripower or dual quad setup instead, original gauges and sheet metal, all that jazz. But truth is, sooner or later you are going to have to put an aftermarket part on your car if you want to drive it a lot. And chances are pretty good that part was made outside of the USA. So I think we all end up falling somewhere on a spectrum of where we are comfortable, how far we are willing to deviate from building a car exactly like GM did in the 60's.

I don't have a logical answer as to why I prefer an aftermarket Pontiac block in my car to an aftermarket BBC or an LS engine, it's just kind of what felt right to me. I'd consider trading it for a nice original 421, maybe something with factory round ports from a later engine, would be pretty fast and fun still and more "Pontiac." But what's the point in driving around in a 421 car with chinese gauges? Better go burn rubber with what I have and not worry about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to i82much For This Useful Post: