View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
You couldn't give me an Egoboost. I have a few personal experiences with them, and they are not flattering. Two of them had stretched timing chains, and the other had terrible smoking issues related to the turbo seals and intercooler-all under 30k miles. When they are new and under warranty, they might be ok, and produce good power, but they are not for me.

As much as the 6.0 Vortec has been derided here, they are a better performer than the 6.4 Hemi. Now that's a flaming turd of an engine.

My 2017 5.3 L83 LT1 series GEN V/6L80 has been stellar in both power and economy. I have performed a tune, upgraded the exhaust and intake systems, and added the 6.2 intake and TB. Nothing like 23-24 MPG's on a trip at 75-80 mph, and low 14 sec quarter mile times in a close to 6000 pound truck. Towing the Bandit nets 13 MPG on the road. I like the 6.2, but the 8 speed tranny is not as refined as the 6, and you can't tune that trans. With that said, I would NEVER put it in a vintage Pontiac.
Interesting since the 4 cylinder engines and V6 engines in production typically have a internal chain tensioner that would take out any wear in the chain.

Also a smoking issue from turbo seal issues is caused by excessive crankcase pressures, or poor crankcase venting. The turbo needs a very low pressure in the oil pan to drain the CHRA properly.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 01-01-2020 at 12:17 PM.