View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

My next build I'm thinking smaller.

I would really like to build a turbocharged 350. More than anything to just prove it's as capable in that environment as the "junkyard" 5.3. Many of the guys that do that reliably, start with a truck 5.3, go through it and replace the pistons and cam of their choice. Otherwise it's stock bottom end with new bearings, seals etc.

I firmly believe you can do the same with the Pontiac 350 and given equal parts, I bet it would make about the same power.

Would be a pretty basic deal. Stock crank and rods with good hardware and forged pistons. Might opt for a roller just because, but could easily go with a flat tappet. Keep the RPM's at 5500-5700. Stock heads, just a good valve job, probably a performer manifold to knock some weight off it and provide a square bore flange. TBI system capable of boost handling.

The goal would be north of 500hp and at or near stock driving manners. To my knowledge this isn't really something that's been experimented on without really going after the bottom end and going over the top with the build. This type of thing more closely represents kind of what this thread is about.

There's not a ton of information in regards to how strong the factory rods really are. It's widely known that they don't specifically like RPM, but within their specified limits, there's not much in the way of published information on how much they'll take. It's my belief that something like this would be fairly attainable. It's a bit expensive and time consuming for a proof on concept type deal, but that's hotrodding.