View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Let's say you wanted a basic E-head, hydraulic roller Pontiac long block with a forged crank and good aftermarket rods. What does that long block cost in a factory block, and how much more in an aftermarket block?
Assuming you find a good used 455 block to start with they usually go for $500 around these parts. For me to build a long block with good aluminum heads and roller cam is going to set me back close to $10k buy the time I buy everything, and good quality machine work. That's just what it costs these days to build a good solid engine from scratch, and it'll likely make in the 600hp neighborhood and run pump gas. Even if I build a lesser HP engine the cost doesn't really change much because I still apply all the quality machine work and parts to a build for a solid package that'll give me durability and longevity.

If I wanted to go with a new aftermarket block you can add $3200 to that cost, because that's what it cost my father. Then there is still machine work on top of that to do, so you aren't avoiding block work by going this route.
Then there is the cost of an aftermarket crank, because you don't buy an aftermarket block that accepts a giant crank and drop in a stock 4.210 455 crank. So the costs just start adding up. Then you end up with custom pistons to keep compression in check and so on.