Thread: Beautiful Tools
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I'm kind of flexible went it comes to where things are made, sort of ... best man wins no matter what to me ... but some of the made in USA tools are just wonderful ... I told my wife I need a "house wrench" to keep on the coffee table because they are so nice to hold in your hand... yep, kind of over the top when it comes to price and finish ... but, jeez, so nice. And that means the US made Proto, Snap-on, Mac, etc.

I know I will never get my money back on them, but just to be able to pass them on some day and know the person that gets them will appreciate the quality is enough for me.
You are right about second hand value for sure. As I get older I think about that more and more. I have over 100K in hand tools from a 40+ year career. I also have several friends in the tool business. As many of us age out and pass away, most family members left with all the tools don't have any use for them or know what to do with them. My Snap-On and MAC tool friends say they will occasionally buy an estate of hand tools but will NEVER pay more than twenty cents on the dollar for them no matter the condition. Power tools, especially cordless ones are worth no more than ten cents on the dollar. They always have dead batteries that are obsolete and the tool is a throwaway. They both say they are lucky to re-sell at 40 cents on the dollar for Mac, Snap-ON Proto and the other premium tools. Non-premium tools have virtually no value used. That's on the re-sale market at least. One of the reasons there are such great deals on tool at pawn shops. I am a tool geek so I enjoy having them almost as much as my old Pontiac's!