View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singleton View Post
The reason for this thread is just for reference for other people that may find themselves in this situation at some point.

Recently, I was going to install a tri-power set-up on my 66 Goat, that has a non-dimpled timing cover. The dimple is there to clear the thermostat housing that is mounted on the front of the tri-power intake.
Most people faced with this dilemma just source the correct timing cover, which is fine, but I wanted to avoid going thru the hassle of changing it out.
I've seen some old threads on ways around the problem, with some having success in grinding the water neck and or the timing cover, but since I have a new KRE cover, I wanted to avoid modifying it.

My plan was to purchase a new aluminum reproduction 65 or 66 water neck, and cut and weld it to clear my timing cover. However, the parts are no longer produced, and i had no luck finding a used one. Two members, (chrisp and tom.s), suggested the 1962 super duty water neck that is still reproduced in aluminum. This neck has more of a curve than the 66 neck, but worked out just fine.

First, I cut the neck at the solid line:

Then simply inverted the cut-off piece and had it heli-arc welded back on:

After applying some epoxy to fill-in some voids and grinding smooth, and painting:

After installation, about 1/8" clearance between neck and rear waterpump bolt boss:
I was referring to the this modification.

Thanks