View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Hey Jeremy, I think we talked about this before?

Anyway, yes Cold Case does have show deals. Back in March we had the cars (and Dad's GTO) at the Goodguys event and they were there. Had excellent deals on the Cold Case stuff as well as Pypes exhaust that tempted me to buy stuff for another project. They were also nice enough (and curious enough) to look at dad's car while we were there trying to figure out why it was running so warm. Of course we found out why later which was the purpose of me starting this thread.
Anyway, when it comes to these radiators, I like these aluminum radiators as long as they use the larger 1 1/4" tubes and have 2 rows of them. Some of the cheaper aluminum radiators fall short of this.

I've mentioned this to a few board members via email. When dad bought the Cold Case I compared it to my Griffin direct fit that I run in the Chevelle. Both cars (a-bodies) take the same size radiator. They both have 1 1/4" tubes and 2 rows of them. They both have a very tight fin count which is important for airflow. They both have nice stamped tanks that give a factory appearance and both show excellent quality tig welds, trans lines are in the correct locations with no monkey business needed there, and also important is that they have the proper raised area at the tanks for the factory rubber insulators so the factory shroud fits and functions just like it's supposed to. Many aftermarket aluminum radiators don't have this feature and it's a big turn off for me.

Bottom line, the Cold Case radiator is a nice piece, and cools dad's engine with no issues at all, matter of fact I was impressed at how cool it actually pulled the engine down. Just shows the radiator is definitely up to the task.
We probably have. I have lamented for a while that I cheaped out. At the time I could see the light at the end of the tunnel after years and was doing whatever I could to make the thing come to life.

This weekend was a bit of validation from me as it was the first time I went on a highway road trip. So now I kinda know where the car stands exactly. I think Im going to bit the bullet and buy one in the future. I want to do it again when it is hotter and see how the higher ambient affects it.

I can probably recoup some of it by selling my current unit. It probably really would work fine for a motor a notch down from mine. It does a passable job even with mine. Im just scared of getting caught in a stop and go situation.

There is still a bit of mystery about why I started running 15* hotter when I went from an 18" 6 blade to a 19" 7 blade. But I have a theory on that.

One other note is I have never checked my water pump clearance. I probably should, its just more of a project than I can usually talk myself into when it might be for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 06-24-2019 at 03:42 PM.