View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the post. I went on my first long 120 mile round trip this weekend. Mine runs hotter than I was comfortable with. Ambient temps around 85, thermostat is a 180*. Ran between 200 and 212 at highway cruise. More like 195* at lower speeds. But since it runs that warm at cruise I suspect if I ever got caught in hard traffic I would be in trouble. If I knew it would never get over 215 I would be fine. I just don't trust it. This is with a factory type shroud, and 19" clutch fan.

It actually dropped like 8-10* on the way home, but I got caught in the rain. Probably lowered ambient or the water splash on the radiator lowered temps.

I have a Chinese knockoff aluminum unit from Ebay. It works, but since it runs warmer than I want I wish I had spent the extra $100 and bought a cold case. Now I think Im going to go ahead and do just that. Your results make me feel better about the expenditure. I think that aluminum one I have would be just fine for a smaller engine. It almost keeps up with mine.

Ill probably wait for the next big show, in my experience Cold Case has pretty good in person show deals. Plus the Cold Case should actually have the provisions to mount the shroud which the Ebay unit doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports