View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, so this is going to sound strange. I pulled the carb off and replaced it with another Q-jet I had used in the past. I got it running, set the idle mixture, and noticed that carb was leaking too. I figured, let me change that gasket. Did that, but it still leaked. But when I looked at the leak really close, it seemed like it might be coming from where the fuel line goes into the filter housing. I installed one of the new filter housings I bought (which has a couple of extra threads in it). The fuel line fitting looks like it’s seen better days, but just as a test, I ran some plumbers tape ape around the threads. Fired it up. No leak.

I realize this is not a permanent repair, but could the fuel fitting that goes into the inlet housing wear to the point it leaks. I also don’t like that it’s a direct hard line from the carb to the fuel pump. I realize that’s the design, but I wonder if because there is no flex in it, could vibration wear it down. Just a thought. I also have no idea how old that line is. Could be original for all i know. I do not believe I have ever replaced in the 14+ years I’ve owned the car.

My thought is to get a replacement fuel line and bolt the 7040573 back on, unless from the photos I shared you think I should get that heli-coiled anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk