Thread: 1965 tripower
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I really dont get your point except because you have not built one you dont know what one is capable of,that all.Tom
So what you are saying is that you do not know what GM engines to stay away from. I was around when the 301 was out. Like the Cadillac HT4100, as soon as word got out what a POS these engines were, Pontiac dealers could not give them away and did not want them. The very popular T/A died on dealer's lots if they had a 301. And like Caddy dealers when a customer wanted to trade in a Caddy with a Northstar, Pontiac dealers cringed when a customer came in with a 301 car. I remember dealers calling them 50,000 mile cars, because you were lucky to get that out of them. Yes, there were a few (very few) exceptions like a guy I know with a 95,000 mile Grand Am or another guy that got 126,000 out of his 301 but its pretty sad when you have to think hard as to a 301 getting over 50,000.

That is why any Pontiac guy around here doesn't consider a 301 when talking Pontiac engine history. I liken it to a bastard child with its Papier-mâché crank.