View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the heads were ported by Dan Barton. The entire engine was previously done at a shop he was employed at. However the current owner felt the engine didn't run up to his expectations and I was asked to look into it.

For starters I knew it had a poor cam choice in it, and when I started tearing things down and found cheap umbrella seals used on the heads I contacted Paul knowing we were going to get into some machine work. So I disassembled the entire engine and took everything to Paul.

On the heads alone Paul found all kinds of things that were subpar. 2 piece valves were used, no hardened seats installed, and the valve springs were so weak they showed signs of rotating in the pockets. Part of the reason why this engine fell flat at 5,000 rpm.

Paul flowed the heads as he received them, and then got to work. Paul installed new 1 piece valves, new hardened seats and performed a valve job that did wonders for the mid lift flow numbers without hurting the upper numbers (Paul is the man ). The springs were chosen and setup for the custom hydraulic roller that Paul specified to take advantage of these heads while still remaining streetable and docile enough to work the power brakes and AC.

I'll get into short block details in a few days. Paul found all kinds of issues so we were glad we decided to dig deeper into this thing. I pick the engine up tomorrow and once I have assembly done it will go back to Paul for some dyno time and some new numbers.