Thread: RAIV Cam Timing
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
If you have worries about scrubbing lobes with flat cams send them out to be coated. They will come back looking like they are black chrome plated and have the lubricating properties of 5W-30 oil before any oil gets on them!

The RAIV camshaft is ground to have a 113.5LSA with the ICL at 112 degrees. The Crower 60919 comes in pretty close to that so I suspect they are just re-boxing CMC cams.

I street and track tested the Crower 60919 cam at 107ICL, 109, 111 and 113. It does NOT like 107ICL although it idled a little better and felt a tad snappier on the street at lower RPM's. At the track it slowed down, even in short times so it's not making as much power in the loaded RPM range despite regurgitated information folks put up on the NET about "advancing cams for more low end torque".

My 455 ran very close at 109 and 111 ICL but started to feel a bit "lazy" when I moved in to 113.

We've been setting them at 109 or as close to that number as practical and it seems to be a very good place to be with a stout 455 engine build......Cliff
I think I'll stay with the plain cam for now. For future reference, What's the coating by whom?

Thanks for posting your results! I was thinking last night, "Didn't Cliff do testing at a bunch of different RAIV cam timings?". That's a huge help. Makes me feel a lot more certain.