Thread: RAIV Cam Timing
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
I bet you will be fine without nitriding. I’m somewhat surprised that you lost a lobe on the previous cam - I understand the ramps on the RA-IV grind are very ‘gentle’ and that the more aggressive / steeper ramps have a greater tendency toward failure. I like your idea of using the Crower Cam Saver Lifters - Ive never read or heard any complaints about them. That combo should be really, really strong. I just saw a magazine article that someone re-posted here a while back where Cliff’s 041 equipped 455 put out 500 hp with unported Kauffman D-Ports that flowed around 260. That cam will love those ported heads.
I heard mixed opinions on nitriding cams. When I first read about it, it sounded good. Then I read an article that said it wasn't.

The cam was in service for 20+ years. I'd have to look at my records. I hate to admit, I did let it get a little low on oil. Then I had a pretty lengthy, kinda high speed, run on the highway. I think I may have starved the front of the cam. IDK.

I was looking at the lifters with the EDM hole in the face of the lifter for more oil. Then I found the Crower design. I like the groove in the side much better than a hole in the lifter face. So, we'll see...

I think it's gonna scream pretty good. Wasn't a slouch before with peanut ports. Lol! I saw a dyno sheet with very similar combo. It was around 512hp and 565tq! Sounds good to me!

Now I need to quit running my mouth and get back in the shop!