View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't have to be rich to drive a classic daily. Matter of fact we find it saves us money. We had new computerized cars we were driving but in the end it was my wife's idea to ditch that and start driving the classics that were just sitting here.

The new cars were outrageously expensive. $500 + for tags every year (EACH!!), $1,000+ for insurance, each. The only thing better was gas mileage, that was it, and it wasn't by much. Maintenance and tires were all way more expensive. Especially tires. Get into some of those stupid wheel sizes and prices quadruple.

In the end we spend a pinch more in gas, but we save every where else which more than makes up for the gas cost. With the right tuning they are actually very respectable. My 70 Formula knocks down 17 mpg highway pretty easy cruising at 70 mph, with a carburetor and no overdrive. The Z is doing nearly identical, with a well tuned 780 Holley and no overdrive.
That's good enough for us.

Smiles per mile are worth something as well. I sometimes look for excuses to go somewhere just so I can drive the car Besides, I'm not getting any younger, I'm going to enjoy the darn things while I'm still breathing.