View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to what I researched when decoding KC & Balt Shipping Orders ('64 PHS docs for those Plants), the 6 cyl Tempests had Battery Wire manifest code DD which I decoded as Negative Cable p/n 2983850, 25" long and Positive Cable p/n 2987236, 38" long.

All V8 Tempests had Battery Wire manifest code FF which I decoded as Negative Cable p/n 2983853, 27" long and Positive Cable p/n 2987242 Battery to Junction Block, 11" long.

The wire assembly from Junction Block to Starter I identified as p/n 2987929. I did not indicate the length of this wire assembly.

This wire assembly would include the purple wire with a connector and a positive battery cable

Peter Serio has previously posted an excerpt of the Positive Battery Terminal and Horn Relay drawing from the Assembly Manual (no plans to make this valuable resource public apparently).

It was posted to show that there were 2 factory choices for the '64 Horn Relay, a Littelfuse version and a Delco version.

But it shows some of what you are asking about.

It partially illustrates p/n 2987929 and shows the purple wire tape wrapped to the positive cable starting at a point a few inches away from the junction block.

It does not show the wire tube which might appear in another illustration referenced, routing and attachment of battery cables to engine which is identified as "Sheet #3".

I believe the wire tube may have been revised during the '64 Model Year, possibly even that no tube was used very early year.

The purple wire connector is joined to a connector routing out of the front end wire assembly which is the wire assembly from the LH (driver side) connector at the firewall and includes the wiring for the headlights.

When the site is working better, I could post the Serio excerpt or you can search "Horn Relay" and might find it. Hope this thread will still open after I post this reply.