Thread: Vacuum advance
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to you both.

I stumbled on that article last night and it was very helpful.

As to the TCS, seems counter to what the article said. I don't see any practical benefit to keeping that system, but adding advance at idle sounded like a good thing for cooling. It may have been needed for emissions in 1970, but there's nothing unique about my engine that would force me to keep it.

I also don't want to deal with verifying the rest of the TCS is working if there is no benefit. There is a switch on the transmission and a valve on the back of the engine. Both are probably 48 years old and I got enough uncertainty.

Unless I find motivation to keep the TCS, I'll just buy the VC1802 as recommended in the article and try it with manifold vacuum. This seems in line with general wisdom for idle timing and is maxed out at a low enough vacuum to avoid hunting.

The car is not a driver yet, so just trying to get it idling well enough to move it around on its own power for now. For this purpose, I will probably just leave the vacuum off until I get the carb straightened out, but may install the vac can if it is obvious I need it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post: