View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found more information.

Ted Stevens Pontiac was notified by a PMD letter dated March 18, 1987 that a new Pontiac dealership at 750 W. Capitol Expy in San Jose had been awarded. In April, Ted Stevens Pontiac filed a protest with the Calif New Vehicle Board.

The case proceedings state that Ted Stevens established his Pontiac dealership in 1968, earlier than I had guessed. He also took on GMC trucks in 1968 and operated as a dual franchise.

It does not say where the dealership was located in 1968 but does note that it is operating at 620 Blossom Hill Rd. on a 2.9 acre lot in Los Gatos and the structure thereon was then 24 years old (so apparently a building erected in 1963).

So it appears that Bill Stuart Pontiac likely built the new dealership building on Blossom Hill around 1963 (also earlier than I had guessed), moving his dealership from the old S. Santa Cruz Ave. location about 5 years before selling the biz to Ted Stevens.

Ted Stevens Pontiac argued that a new Pontiac dealer in San Jose would harm his biz.

The new San Jose dealership was to be owned by Cerritos Management Group which already owned a number of other foreign make dealerships plus Chevy and Olds.

The facts presented to the Board were very unflattering to Stevens Pontiac, including Consumer satisfaction rankings and per unit profit being much higher that other Pontiac dealers. The Board ruled that Stevens Pontiac failed to make its case and PMD was allowed to establish the new franchise.

As previously noted, Ted Stevens proceeded to close the Pontiac dealership at the end of 1987.

I could not resolve the 620 vs. 625 address conflict but it was not uncommon for a dealer to have a delivery lot that differed from the office address. My guess is that the office was located at 620 Blossom Hill and deliveries were made across the street at 625 Blossom Hill. Perhaps he displayed his inventory on that lot, else it could have been a used car lot, or maybe even just an easy place to off load the cars.

I believe Ted Stevens operated an Acura dealership for a time at the 620 location after the demise of his Pontiac franchise. He had another court case with unions filing a grievance that his union agreements previously entered into were not honored when he switched to Acura.

More recently, Los Gatos Luxury Cars (Lamborghini, Bentley, Acura) occupied the old facilities. In 2014, they announced plans to demolish the old showroom and facilities and replace it with a modern facility about quadruple the size. It appears that Los Gatos Luxury Cars is still at the 620 Blossom Hill address but in new buildings.

It looks like the 625 Blossom Hill address has condo buildings on it now.