View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I chased a tranny fluid leak for some time and changed the rear seal twice before I found that it was coming from a place that I did not even know COULD leak...the slip yoke. The end of the yoke is pressed in. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ight=yoke+leak
Of course in that instance, once I started looking frequently enough, I could see that the initial moisture to a very cleaned up area was behind the rear seal and pan. The first drop to show was on my u-joint.
What is the furthest point forward that gets wet?
In my case, it appeared to be where someone touched a welder to it and weakened a spot that later blew out.

The furthest point forward where I see the fluid Greg, would be close to the front of the pan. And these are drops that are kind of just dangling there, ready to fall. I know going 45-50 mph, with the wind underneath, the fluid would blow from the front to the back. I don't see how logically it could go the other way. It's just so puzzling. Everything else gets a fine coating so it's difficult for me to tell where the origin is. I did feel around the dip stick tube and that was also dry. So, I have to rule out that and the front seal. Leaves just the pan gasket, modulator and too much transmission fluid that blows out the vent under pressure. I'm really hoping that's it. I'm going to check this vent in the morning for any signs of being wet. Believe it or not, this morning there were drops of transmission fluid hanging from the rear end and also the muffler clamp. Both are a decent distance from the transmission. This might support my thinking of it blowing back by the wind, but where does it come from?? Just remarkable, Carmine.