Thread: Dealer issue...
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not wishing to promote gloom and doom to your unfortunate engine failure. But if your wife really likes the car and you intend to keep it for the long haul, I would recommend the following. You can fight over the oil changes with the dealer and you may get some satisfaction. But lets think about this repair a little. If there were multiple camshaft lobe failures, that means the cam shafts were ground down. The cams on those engines are hollow steel tubes with very hard powdered metal cam lobes pressed on the tube. This means that tiny bits of very hard metal are literally everywhere in the engine, in every oil passage and the favorite this paste loves to collect is in the oil rings. This paste really can't be easily removed. Once the damage was discovered, I would have pushed for a complete engine replacement because of this. With the current situation, I would recommend a minimum of 4 oil changes. One every 500 miles. That car takes 0W-20 oil, which works to your advantage because it's so thin. But that engine uses an oil filter that is in the very top of the engine, so the grit and metal may not end up in the housing. I would do the oil change myself and rub your finger around in the housing after you remove the element. If you feel grit in the housing, that's not good, of course. That engine has oil circuits that are really tiny for the variable camshaft timing on all 4 cams and the 2-stage oil pump. Honestly, I am surprised they didn't authorize a long block or complete engine replacement for your situation. I am a former Chrysler training instructor as well as GM, and hate to hear this. Keep an eye on the "check engine" light. Any codes related to camshaft phasers, camshaft timing solenoids, 2-stage oil pump issues, misfires, can all be related to crap in the oil. The 3.6L Pentistar engine has some issues early on, dropping valve seats, porous castings, sticking valve guides, but they were mostly fixed by 2012. My son in law has a 2015 Charger with that engine and it's been perfect so far. Has almost 100K on it. PM me with an update if you wish, I will help you if I can.

I just reread your whole initial post. For your peace of mind, I would go back to the dealer and insist that they let you look at the 4 camshafts. If the lobes were indeed rounded off, producing metal paste, the engine will likely have future damage. If the situation was only collapsed lifters, a few oil changes and you may be OK. Metal paste in the engine is key.

Last edited by mgarblik; 04-06-2018 at 07:48 AM.