View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphead View Post
You can use a dial bore gauge to see if the caps are centered on the block well enough to put back together. That will confirm what condition the main tunnel is in. I expect breaking a crank made the cap dowels move around a bit.

You'll need a bore gauge and a set of mics anyway to check bearing clearances. You got ebay in Qatar?

For the crank, at least ask the question of an Eagle dealer (butler or some of the pro guys here, etc) about shelf balance? At the extreme, maybe somebody will swap cranks with you? All you need is a crank with good journals that has been balanced to factory GM tolerances if you have factory rods and pistons.

What main fasteners are used? You have mentioned ARP fasteners, but AFAIK, only ARP studs are available for main fasteners??

The rest you can do in your living room.
Ho ho! Good catch my friend. ARP main stud kit and ARP rod bolts were provided to the shop. The fact that we all see bolts tells me they were never used. Since this shop will never see another Pontiac I think it's more likely than theft that they simply figured they were the wrong part since it wasn't like what was coming out of the engine. So, yeah, I guess probaly all the factory fasteners... Eagle cast steel crankshaft 104554210.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod