View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 bird View Post
Change out the break in oil and look for metal/cut filter open. What were the bearing clearances set at?? I have a 351w with .003 bearing clearance that has 15 psi. warm at idle. I have been beating the snot out of that engine with a turbo for 3 years with no problems.
I have been reading posts like this all over other drag racing forums which makes me slightly less worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Something is wrong here. My old 455 done in 1990 still has 60-65 lbs during warm up with fresh oil. Has 50lbs hot at idle.
I would cut the filter in half like right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
Who built the engine?
I would ask that person for a recommended oil weight as they should know the clearances.

20/50 is way to thick in todays world.
I run 5/30 RP XPR, 80 Cold, 30 Hot Idle, 70PSI at 7200 RPM.
I built the engine. The clearances were 0.002 with plasti-gage...I don't live in Georgia, 50 is not thick if you want safe operation, at least thats my opinion. I'd rather have thicker oil to save my parts even if it is less than optimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Sounds like you have an issue, cut the filter, then fix the cooling system. 240 degrees is way to hot.
small leak in rad, stock flex fan, like I said I just had to get the car running to break it in and seat the rings. Kinks need to be addressed still

Thanks fellas, will drain the oil, check the pump and filter and report back!